[Openicc] - CM Framework - Printer Driver - output intent - PDF specs

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:28:36 PDT 2011

On 06/21/2011 12:35 PM, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> Hello Till,
> Is there any URL where I can further informations / specifications for
> CPD and color management ?

Yes, here is the web page for the CPD:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/commonprintingdialog

and here are the UI specs:

http://wiki.openusability.org/wiki/printing/index.php/Specification

Color management is described here:

http://wiki.openusability.org/wiki/printing/index.php/Personal_laser_parameter_specifications#Color_Management
http://wiki.openusability.org/wiki/printing/index.php/Photo_printers_parameter_specifications#Color_Management_and_the_CPD

> What about following situation:
> Current toolkits for PDF print spool file generation are creating
> DeviceRGB PDF files.
> If the printer profile is an RGB-profile and is embedded as output
> intent, the PDF specs define, that DeviceRGB PDF content should not been
> color managed.
>
> If we want a colormanaged print path with the usage of the printer
> profile as output intent, we MUST also convert all DeviceRGB PDF content
> to ICCbased content with sRGB.icc embedded. Furthermore, we have also to
> set the rendering intent on object level either to perceptual or define
> a possibility to apply blackpoint comensation.
>
> This is not simple stuff with current LINUX toolkits.

We (preferably a CM expert) need to report bugs to all toolkits (GTK,
Qt, Cairo, ...) which generate print output for desktop applications
that the PDF output must be CM-ready.

> I currently have the impression that the CPD developments and the work
> Richard Hughes is doing with colord an GhostScript are not well
> synchronized.

Seems that all the infrastructure is added on the server side but the
applications/toolkits are not ready for using this new infrastructure.

    Till