[Openicc] - CM Framework - Printer Driver -

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jun 24 16:37:00 PDT 2011

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 01:34:28 +0200, edmund ronald wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> If a job with embedded profile reaches the CPD or if a user selects a
>> profile within the CPD, and afterwards the user changes individual options
>> and the changes conflict with the CPD, the CPD should tell the user that his
>> setting change will deactivate the ICC profile and whether he really want to
>> do it. Or the option setting should be grayed out and only changeable if the
>> user deselects the profile at first. So changing embedded option setting
>> info in ICC profiles is never needed during the print process.
>
> This is complicated. Actually, ink settings allow to derive a profile, but
> then in usage the ink settings and the profile may get misused: For instance
> a 2880 dpi setting may use the same profile in a pinch as the 720 dpi
> setting but need some density tuning; or a user who gets some new media miay
> decide to use ink settings that are available and redo a profile; or the
> user may decide to keep the profile but do some manual tuning, eg add some
> reds. I'd say that profile and ink settings will usually be made available
> together to the user, but she may have good reasons to want to access them
> independently - overrides can be useful but can also be suicidal.

I generally don't like making it impossible to do something like
this.  The user shouldn't face an absolute choice between using the
profile and tweaking some settings.  A warning dialog is fine, but
absolutely forbidding someone from making changes isn't -- they may
have good reasons for doing so.

--Eric Crampton