[Openicc] [Gutenprint Color Management] Will my prints look good?

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 06:05:08 PDT 2011

I'm the Gutenprint color geek, I guess. As such, I guess  in a way my job is
also to manage expectations.

I don't think we are going to live in a perfect world. Color managed Linux
users are not going to see perfection.

Screen and print won't match in most consumer scenarios, although they may
and should match on *our* systems. We should be well aware of that.

For our purposes -Gutenprint- I think we should have agreement that
profiling will bring the print system into a well known state, which
incidentally means a decent screen to print match in strong print viewing
lighting, using a calibrated screen.

Users should be free to move from this state, later, and tune the print so
they are comfortable  their own esthetics, screen and viewing condtions.

Telling users to go out and buy a viewing booth is not going to cut it. If
they say "my prints are too dark", we need to tell them, yes, that is
because you have a profile that is specifically tailored to irrealistic
industry-standard viewing conditions. And, if necessary we should be
prepared to tell them clearly that they need to compensate by eye for their
own esthetics and viewing condition psychophysics.

Edmund