[Openicc] Minimal X Color Management

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 16:18:26 PST 2012

Graeme,

 Concerning the point of view, I feel that much of the current practice of
color management is bound to the use of the screen as a preview device for
an expensive print.

 Nowadays, I believe there is a universe of consumers who employ the
display directly to view images and graphics uploaded to portable devices
and the web by other consumers - and some strongly simplified color
management could hugely improve the consistency of this web experience. The
same goes for TVs and home projectors.

 If I may be allowed an analogy, when I was writing CAD programs for chips
30 years ago, I was using expensive and precise graphic tablets; but
consumers came along and popularised the imprecise but yet very useful
computer mouse.

Edmund