[Openicc] Linux printing

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 10:19:50 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 28.02.12, 18:43 +0100 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:
>

>>  ICC-experts, please shut me up if I'm wrong.
>>

> You are welcome :-)
>

>  Note, I'm in favor of all efforts to add CM to Linux and Free Software
>> and don't want to badmouth it. All I say is that we also need CM support at
>> the application level before it can have any lasting and consistent effect
>> on output quality.
>>

> There is not much of a hurry. sRGB is your friend.
> It is up to applications, graphics libraries and toolkits to tag colours
> in the PDF appropriately or convert to sRGB as a reasonable default.
>
> kind regards
> Kai-Uwe

As Kai-Uwe says, if you have CM running, an implicit assumption of sRGB
becomes a good way for apps to deal with the rest of the world, be it in
output or input; they can rely on the system to sRGB to the display
profile, or to print sRGB as best it can. And really smart apps can request
the registered display profile or printer profile.

Edmund