[Openicc] review of new wide gamut editing space

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 21 12:34:31 PDT 2012

On Mar 21, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> Am 21.03.12, 13:07 -0600 schrieb Chris Murphy:
>> On Mar 21, 2012, at 12:38 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, given the toolkit case that gamma seems plausible. However, applications might want to display content with wider than sRGB primaries.
>>
>> ECI-RGB v1 would seem to be adequate for ~90% of cases. What displays have gamut significantly outside of it?
>
> HP DreamColor has much deeper saturated blues and purple tones.

Yes it's a nice display. But the areas of gamut extended beyond Adobe RGB are naturally occurring? Are they even commonly unnaturally (synthetically) occurring? In post production enhancement, OK, some. But originally you're talking about preserving color from Raw captures (presumably still and video).

Not only are the vast majority of real colors inside of sRGB already, but an overwhelming majority would be inside of Adobe RGB. It's one thing to need a large space and wide dynamic range in order to have rendering flexibility, but that's not what it appears you're aiming for. Seems like you're talking about an output referred space.

I will bet you're talking about a very small fraction of images, combined with a small fraction of displays that could otherwise display those colors, something in the realm of single digit percent. In that case, if you really like angels dancing on heads of pins, use 24-bit ROMM RGB. But I think even in those cases, 24-bit ECI RGB v1 is sufficient.

And has no licensing issues. Right?