[Openicc] Wiki for KDE Colour Management Proposal (GSoC)

Casian Andrei skeletk13 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 12:49:57 PDT 2012

Thanks for the reply :-)

2012/4/9 Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org>:
> On Saturday 07 April 2012 16:07:49 Casian Andrei wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
> Hi Casian,
>
> the wiki page looks quite good, but I can only repeat myself by saying that it
> cannot (and should not be) an effect. Yes in Compiz it's a plugin but that
> doesn't matter for KWin.
>
> You probably noticed while writing the page how shaky the whole process
> becomes when using an effect. First of all you have to adjust all shaders in
> the core which kind of breaks the concept of plugins in the first place. The
> next thing is that you want to kind of intercept all rendering calls in the
> effect but that's just not possible. Not all rendering goes through the
> effects.
It appeared to me that everything that was going to be rendered passed
through the effects somehow (screen and windows). Obviously I missed
something :). I will make a much more careful analysis of the code
before I start working on anything.

The idea was that the effect would just call some glBindTexture(3d
color correction texture) depending on the monitor corresponding to
the area to be painted, no changes to the shaders. Anyway, I will
search for other solutions, that do not involve an effect.

> That's why it has to be in the base compositor before the rendering is done.
>> I plan to extend the wiki if the proposal is accepted. It will be the
>> place where progress reports will be posted, too, if it will be the
>> case.
> Please move it to http://community.kde.org/KWin if the proposal gets accepted.
> We have all our internal documentation there and the project seems to be more
> about KWin than about OpenIcc :-)
Will do.