[Openicc] Hello from me

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sat May 5 09:20:15 PDT 2012

Hello all,

Am 05.05.12 14:18, schrieb Richard Hughes:
> Kai-Uwe and I have spoken much at LGM about OpenICC, past behaviour
> and working together. The conclusion we came to was that we'd both
> acted badly in the past with unfair statements and silly tit-for-tat
> attacks on each other. Some of this I think was due to inherent
> cultural differences, some of this not. I think that applies to a few
> other people on this list too.

We hope to get better at interaction and try to learn from the past.
Along that way, the list can relax and get a more inviting place for
fruitful discussions including tollerance about different ideas.

> We've come to an agreement that it's perfectly okay to have different
> implementations of a CMS stack on Linux, and it's okay to disagree
> with how something is built or designed. We both agree wholeheartedly
> it makes a ton of sense to share specifications. The fact that colord
> and Oyranos are so different is a good thing, and as is usual with
> open source, we can cross-pollinate the good ideas from one to
> another.

> In light of this, Kai-Uwe has reviewed the metadata keys I have been
> using in colord, and I will add them to the next version of the
> OpenICC metadata specification. Similarly, the other keys that Oyranos
> uses for profile matching (that colord doesn't) will be added to the
> profiles when they are generated by gnome-color-manager. It's only a
> few hundred bytes after-all.

> Together we're going to write a better description of what the OpenICC
> mailing list is all about, and what it should be used for. With this
> kind of document existing, we can point people (or people can point me
> at) when things go slightly awry and blood starts boiling for whatever
> reason.

Please feel all free to add to that project or even start about that.

> We've got so few people interested in color management using open
> source, we can't really afford to have a huge rift at this stage. I'm
> pretty proud that we've addressed a lot of things today and are moving
> forward, and I think that will be of benefit to both of us.

... and let me add, it will likely be good for open source CM and it's
users. Thanks to all, who where involved to help mitigate.