[Openicc] Gutenprint mission as Linux moves towards color managed workflows

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Sun May 13 17:31:33 PDT 2012

On 05/14/2012 02:20 AM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Kai-Uwe,
>
> On May 13, 2012, at 1:31 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>>
>>> What we need here then is a standardized CUPS filter option (like there are already options as "number-up", "page-ranges", ... in the CUPS filter system) to turn off color management. It could be a boolean option named
>>>
>>>   color-management
>>>
>>> which is set to "on" by default and sending a job with the command line option or IPP attribute
>>
>> May I point out, that Gutenprint people originally asked for a global per queue CM-off switch without additional per job effort. However the color-management IPP option would operate per job and needs additional
>> input.
>
> All you'd need to do is:
>
> 	lpadmin -p printer -o color-management-default=false
>
> to set the default for the queue.
>
> That said, please use a prefixed attribute name for this (e.g. org.linuxfoundation.color-management)...

Mike, is "color-management" the standard option name in upstream
CUPS/Mac OS X? Then I will take the same name in
cups-filters/ghostscript/foomatic-filters to have a standard. This way
software available for both Linux and Mac OS X, like Gutenprint does not
need to differentiate.

So this means that for per-job suppression of color management one does
"lpr -o color-management=false"?

    Till