[Openicc] Fwd: [ICC members] Black Point Compensation Document

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 12:03:05 PST 2012

In case people haven't had this ....

Edmund

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dave McDowell <DMCDOWELL at npes.org>
Date: Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Subject: [ICC members] Black Point Compensation Document
To: "icc_members at lists.color.org" <icc_members at lists.color.org>
Cc: Harold Boll <Harold.Boll at tabs.toshiba.com>

All****

** **

The previous draft of the BPC document was distributed to the full ICC
membership in June 2012 as TC130WG7N053. Since that time there have been
several iterations with the ICC Spec editing committee attempting to
respond to the comments received on that draft as well as additional
comments from the editing committee. ****

** **

However, in early August Lars Borg provided both an annotated copy of the
Adobe BPC description and a "pesudo-code representation of the current
Adobe algorithm".  In an attempt to understand these documents and be sure
that the ICC BPC document accurately represented this changed understanding
of the Adobe BPC, Max Derhak and I created a flow diagram of the decision
logic and computational steps involved.  ****

** **

This led to an almost complete revision of the document to allow the
technical description to be consistent with the flow diagram (See Fig 1 in
the document). I am sorry for the disruption in the flow of the review
process (correlation of comments and changes etc.) that this revision will
cause but it seemed to be the only way that we could create a reasonably
understandable document.****

** **

This new document is attached as TC130WG7N054. It will be a subject of
discussion at the upcoming ICC meeting in LA.****

** **

I am also distributing this document to TC130 WGs 2 and 7 as a status
report of our progress in this project.****

** **

Whether you can attend the ICC meeting in LA or not comments are welcomed
(a comment sheet is attached). ****

** **

A key question to be answered is does this document describe your
understanding of black point compensation? ****

** **

Or, if you are not currently implementing black point compensation, is this
description adequate for you to implement black point compensation?****

** **

My appreciation to Max for all his efforts in creating the content of most
of this document.****

** **

Thank you ****

** **