[Openicc] [Fwd: icm profiles in debian]

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 10:42:30 PST 2013

On the topic of profiles and profile names, from a user point of view,
I have a lot of ICC profiles on my computer and in self-defense I've
resorted to a naming convention similar to what Kai suggests, just to
keep all the profiles and variants separate and identifiable.

>From a practical point of view of course the two most important
distinctions between profiles are the primaries and the tone response
curve.

A third distinction is between V2 and V4 profiles, as not all software
can use V4 profiles. For example, the Argyllcms utilities can't use V4
profiles and Cinepaint can't read the V4 profile descriptions.

A fourth distinction is whether the tone response curve is defined by
curves (gamma curves, certain types of parametric curves) or by
points, because according to Marti's paper on unbounded mode ICC
profile conversions the former can operate in unbounded mode and the
latter cannot.

So my profile names look like this:

"family name"-"source of primaries"-V#-TRC-type.icc

For example:

sRGB-argyll-V2-regular1024point.icc
sRGB-argyll-V2-gamma100.icc
sRGB-lcms2embedded-V4-linear4096point.icc
prophotolike-lindbloom-V4-gamma180.icc

I've also made all the profile descriptions match the names so I can
tell which profile is which when using editing software that only
provides the profile description instead of the file name.

Elle Stone

--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com - articles on open source digital photography