[Openicc] [Fwd: icm profiles in debian]

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon Feb 11 10:25:49 PST 2013

KB> Can you please switch on the light for us all and elaborate, why
KB> you think algorithmically profile generation is essentially right?

The weight of continuing evidence has convinced me that stuffing a
mathematically defined space into a file format designed for sampled
data fails miserably.

Linear interpolation; differing white points, adaptations, et al all
add up to confusion, incompatibilities, unnecessarily reduced precision
et cetera.

Use the definition of the spaces to convert between them and XYZ, and
save the icc profiles for conversions between XYZ and sampled targets
such as displays and printers.

And preferably in floating point, where possible.

Algorithmically creating an icc profile for an algorithmically defined
space is a reasonable compromise for those occasions where one is forced
to bother with an icc file for said space.

-JimC