[Openicc] [Fwd: icm profiles in debian]

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Feb 11 13:22:48 PST 2013

Am 11.02.2013 19:25, schrieb James Cloos:

> KB> Can you please switch on the light for us all and elaborate, why
> KB> you think algorithmically profile generation is essentially right?
>
> The weight of continuing evidence has convinced me that stuffing a
> mathematically defined space into a file format designed for sampled
> data fails miserably.

ICC profiles can contain parametric curve elements, which are not
sampled data. However this is a V4 feature and does not work with V2 CMMs.

> Linear interpolation; differing white points, adaptations, et al all
> add up to confusion, incompatibilities, unnecessarily reduced precision
> et cetera.

That reads like a problem statement. And we have the discussion here in
parts because of that. Keeping profiles selectable in order to allow for
various concepts and ideas people might come with, appears to me worth
the effort put in fixing the ICC profiles.

> Use the definition of the spaces to convert between them and XYZ, and
> save the icc profiles for conversions between XYZ and sampled targets
> such as displays and printers.

Colour spaces are defined by spread values or formulas. But conversions
between colour spaces are defined by the algorithms used in profilers
and baked as a result into ICC profiles.

> And preferably in floating point, where possible.

CGATS like used by Argyll and other profilers should allow for that
unsampled data. Btw. ICC profiles can contain conversion tables in
floating point precission.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe