[Openicc] GSoC 2013 preparations

Kai-Uwe ku.b at gmx.de
Sat Mar 16 09:38:01 PDT 2013

Am 16.03.2013 14:04, schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 15 March 2013 22:41, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> If you want to write there an idea for your project or you like to mentor
>> and need a login, let me know. Alternatively send your preformatted idea and
>> I can put it into the wiki.
> I'm not sure I agree with "OpenICC Colour Configuration Data Base" and
> the association with colord.
>
> * yajl isn't a standard dep on most systems

Yajl is used by Argyll. What's the problem?

> * JSON isn't a database
> * /etc is for configuration, not databases

Ok, so this is no problem at all.

> * "add DBus interface" isn't right as colord is already a D-Bus
> interface to the database

It is a frequently requested feature for Oyranos. We just plan around
what our users want.

> There would have to be a very compelling reason for colord to switch
> away from the sqlite database we have now. In Fedora we turn off the
> ucmm library for Argyllcms, and in my opinion the number of users
> using Oyranos and colord at the same time is not significant enough
> for the pain of migrating settings and maintaining backwards
> compatibility. Just deciding on something as simple as the primary
> keys for storage has traditionally been impossible between oyranos and
> colord and so I think this item should be removed from the wiki.

The configuration project is about unified low level access without
bloat, with modularity, portability and user experience in mind.

Richard,
we had delayed CM in KWin for one year by some kind of similar reasoning
from you. That made no sense for CM on Linux and in KDE IMHO.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe