[Openicc] GSoC 2013 preparations

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 00:53:56 PDT 2013

On 19 March 2013 07:23, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> After you suggested ucmm several times, we repeatedly showed that we build
> upon it's basics, last but not least during the last CM hackfest in Brno. We
> rely on that.

Right, but I was talking about ucmm, not the extended version you/we worked on.

> We successfully collaborate through the above linked JSON format in various
> projects. JSON support is differently implemented and deployed by those open
> source CMS projects. That all makes JSON already a part of our history. That
> all is only a small step away from ucmm.

It still doesn't solve the atomicity problem, or the many-writers cache problem.

> The need for a external library code has proven to be a show stopper for
> collaboration. That is the lesson learned by colord joining the Linux
> platform IMO.

I disagree. The number of projects with a colord dep are growing every
day. See http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=colord for some real
world numbers.

> Comming now with a very new SQlite scheme would impose a
> useless burden on already collaborating projects.

Well, over 60 different packages on my box already depend on sqlite,
so I don't really buy that argument, sorry.

Richard