[Openicc] GSoC 2013 preparations

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue Mar 19 22:36:41 PDT 2013

Richard Hughes wrote:

> colord is Linux only, and nowadays it's impossible to even boot a
> modern Linux system without DBus. My basic argument is that if a file
> is running on OS X then any tool should query ColorSync, and if
> running on Windows to use WCS. There's no point duplicating where the
> data is stored on those systems.

Right, but my concern is that Argyll has more general *nix
system support, so DBus can't be assumed. I don't think it's
reasonable to insist that someone install DBus just
to be able to record the current calibration/profile.

> Standardising on the lowest common denominator rarely makes a fluid
> capable API. I'll expand more on the UCMM reply.

Right, but I see this as a transitional situation. We're still
transitioning from a situation where *nix type systems have
no or disparate color management support. So having
something that "just works" without installing a whole
sub-system is a big advantage at this stage. If
the it ever comes about that *nix system color management
can be simply assumed, then yes, there will be no need
for standalone capability.