[Openicc] GSoC 2013 preparations

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Wed Mar 20 00:26:27 PDT 2013

Richard Hughes wrote:

> does not have read permission on the target. As a general permissions
> issue, daemons are not allowed access to files in /home, and with
> SELinux are actively blocked from doing so.

But surely this can be fixed - ie., give a specific daemon permission
to read & monitor a specific file ?

> But that's not compatible with the way we want to do this. In GNOME

I think you'll find than many people object to such an arrangement.
They want control, not to have it arbitrarily overridden.

> and KDE you can click a radio box to choose the default user profile
> and click a button to set the profile used in the login screen and for
> other users. If a specification suggests that users should edit json
> files by hand as the root user, I'm not sure that works with the
> operating system that exists now.

Seems like you are being facetious.

> Is that policy or configuration? That sounds like an awfully fragile
> workaround to me.

It's standard stuff - XDG etc. Look for a local file, if not
present, look further up the tree to local machine, network,
etc. OS X's color profiles are stored and searched for
in precisely this way, and MSWin has the same sort of hierarchy.

Graeme.