p11-glue in debian, debconf11 discussion

Stef Walter stefw at collabora.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 01:05:53 PDT 2011

On 07/07/2011 08:28 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> hi p11 folks (and stef in particular)--
>
> I'm de-lurking now :)

Heh, howdy .o/

> Is p11-glue packaged for Debian yet? I don't see any package in the
> debian archive under that name.  If it's not already done, i'd be
> interested in helping out with the packaging so the ideas of this
> project can see wider adoption.  Would that be useful?

Yes, packaging of p11-kit would be great. It's already a dependency of
the latest upstream gnutls, I'm going to be making it a dependency of
gnome-keyring and will proposing it as a dependency glib-networking. So
it would be very useful to package it.

PKCS#11 Glue is an umbrella project covering stuff like p11-kit and some
other things [1], which relate to trying to use PKCS#11 as a common
denominator for crypto on Linux. So it's not directly 'packagable'.

> Also, I will be leading a session at DebConf11 (the annual debian
> conference, happening later this month) titled "Debian as though
> cryptographic authentication mattered".

Awesome. I'm also giving a talk at the Desktop Summit in Berlin next
month on this.

>  * making user choice easier, more understandable, and more effective
> across the distro

BTW, is this about user choice of trust and identity, or user choice
throughout the whole crypto stack?

> If anyone on this list is going to be at DC11 (or in or near Bosnia
> later this month), i would welcome your presence in person at the
> discussion too.

Sadly, I won't be able to make it, but it sounds like a great session
you've prepared.

> Hopefully we can help push this kind of idea forward together.

Yes, looking forward to it,

Cheers,

Stef

[1]
https://www.desktopsummit.org/program/sessions/gluing-together-usable-desktop-crypto
... but, why oh why, is the picture so big?