gnome-keyring Dependency on p11-kit

Martin Paljak martin at martinpaljak.net
Fri Jul 8 05:02:27 PDT 2011

Hello,

(I've been following the discussion on p11-kit as well, thus the Cc for a generic question)

Has anyone come up with a comparison chart about different "PKCS#11 development libraries" outlining the differences and some subjective pros and cons of the wrappers?
I know p11-kit, libp11, pkcs11-helper, pakchois ... I guess there are more. The only common thing is "they are all in C". For example, libp11 is quite limited to RSA/PKCS#1 and hides P11, meaning it is somewhat challenging to use the plain PKCS#11.

Just curious, would like to do it myself once I get the time to dig into it but I guess you might be more aware of the details. Maintaining such table would be interesting, maybe extending [1] could do.

Cheers,

Martin

[1] http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/DeveloperInformation#Toolsandlibraries

On Jul 8, 2011, at 14:37 , Stef Walter wrote:

> p11-kit [1] is a new project which solves several problems relating to
> the use PKCS#11 modules (such as smart cards, or gnome-keyring itself)
> from various applications.
>
> More info: http://p11-glue.freedesktop.org/doc/p11-kit/
>
> In many ways it contains code that's split out of gnome-keyring, and
> packaged in such a way that it can be used by other projects. p11-kit
> has no dependencies outside of standard things like libc, pthread and
> dlopen.
>
> I've just pushed a commit to gnome-keyring master which makes it depend
> on p11-kit version 0.2.
>
> p11-kit releases and sourc can be gotten here:
>
> http://p11-glue.freedesktop.org/p11-kit.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stef

@MartinPaljak.net