fork and reinit

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sun Jan 22 08:49:18 PST 2012

Hi,
 It seems the automatic reinitialization on fork is problematic in
general. Once I add opensc in the PKCS #11 modules to load, gnutls hangs
once a fork occurs. I don't know if it is the same issue with the pcsc
daemon calling fork() again, but that procedure leads to hard to debug
issues. Moreover I noticed that debian now adds
/etc/pkcs11/gnome-keyring, if that would have been opensc, gnutls would
have suddently stopped working in the combination of applications that
call fork in systems that have opensc installed. This is quite obscure
to correlate and is also not easy to correlate it with PKCS #1 because
no pkcs11 operation was taking place.

Would it be a good idea to ignore the pkcs11 requirement for
reinitialization on fork until some subsystem that allows
reinitialization on demand exists?

regards,
Nikos