[packagekit] PackageKit Apt backend patch

Mario mario.danic at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 04:25:25 PST 2007

> More for upgrades than downgrades. For example (from my own
> experiences this morning) Pidgin just released a new version. Now, I
> don't particularly want an entirely "unstable" system, but for a few
> packages like Pidgin, I'd like the latest and greatest. I want my
> system to get the minimum set of upgrades necessary to do the new
> stuff, with a minimum of disruption for everything else. Principle of
> least surprise and all that.

That's a tricky question. I'm gonna use the Ubuntu example here.

User has Ubuntu Gutsy installed, and wants to install Pidgin from Hardy.
However, new Pidgin also pulls in a lot of libraries which broke ABI, and
is perhaps even compiled with never libc which gets system in trouble.

Anyway, Tom, are you ever on IRC? Me and Michael and probably gonna do
some work today again, and I think we'll get another contributor for apt
backend ;)

Kind regards,
Mario