[packagekit] Introduction

Adrien BUSTANY madcat at mymadcat.com
Wed Dec 5 08:48:12 PST 2007

Juan Camilo Prada a écrit :
> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 17:04 +0100, Adrien BUSTANY wrote:
>
>> Hi, welcome to the list
>> I think the best way to start is to find something to patch, to write a
>> patch and to send it to the list. Hughsie can then give you commit
>> access, but he's away for the week I think...
>> Maybe you could list the technologies (toolkits, languages) you know so
>> that people can better orient you for your first patch
>>
>> regards
>> Adrien BUSTANY
>>
>> Juan Camilo Prada a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello everybody!
>>>
>>> My name is Juan Camilo Prada (aka juank) im a new linux developer (not
>>> new to linux) I found out packagekit to be a really great application
>>> and i wanted to help on it, so here i am ^^
>>>
>>> Also i would like to know how to start... or what should i do so i can
>>> help. So please tell me, im really willing to learn and help

> Thanks Adrien for your welcome
> im mos suited programming with C#, also i have basic knowledge of C/C++
> and im really interested in studying in dept C which i found to be a
> really exciting language.Im learning how to program for Gnome using Gtk+
> so this will be more like a learning experience to me.
>
> As i said im really new to this "linux development process" so i dont
> know how to look for that kind of things to patch or the TODO list or
> something.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help

Actually, I'm currently working on the C++ bindings of packagekit, and
don't have a lot of spare time, so it's not evolving very fast. It's C++/Qt.
I know there is a lot of work going on backends, which is mainly python
AFAIK. I don't know if gnome-packagekit receives a lot of commits.
One thing I'd **love** : when using pkcon on an x86_64, when the package
you requested is available for both arch, pkcon asks packagekit to
install both (yum does that too, but there's a plugin to prevent that
behaviour). It would be great if pkcon could ask which package it should
download... I think it's an easy patch, and for sure it'll learn you the
internals of packagekit :-)
The advantage is that pkcon's code's pretty simple.
C# is not used at all I think, and I don't see any usage for it yet.
You'll also have to learn git basics (I only know how to commit and
checkout, that enough) for when you'll have patches to send.
If you have further questions, don't hesitate, just ask :-)

regards
Adrien