[packagekit] Introduction

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:09:54 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 17:46 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 08:58 -0500, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:
> > Also i would like to know how to start... or what should i do so i can
> > help. So please tell me, im really willing to learn and help
>
> Sounds great!
>
> Okay, it's difficult to assign work as we don't really know what you are
> good at or subjects you want to learn. The harder stuff in TODO is
> probably a bit confusing right now, but I'll list some stuff that might
> help you get familiar with PackageKit before you help tackle the stuff
> that's more complex:
>
> * Lots of the functions are not well commented with gtk-doc. Most
> important is to get the libpackagekit/*.c annotated as it's used in
> other projects. This is probably quite a boring job but is a good way to
> work out how PackageKit is put together.

Ok, so i think ill stick to that one and start commenting those
functions. Maybe, as you say, its a boring task but im pretty sure i can
understand a bit more about PackageKit so i can start coding later...
and pheraps when i get more used to i'll try to do something more
exciting

> * We also need to connect up gtk-doc so it produces nice html pages of
> the client library (and maybe the daemon internals) which will be useful
> for new developers to the project and also for those using
> libpackagekit. This is for someone comfortable with Makefiles and
> auto-foo plumbing.
>
> * We need to make sure the html documentation is still correct and easy
> to read - does any of it sound like technobabble? Is it easy enough for
> developers to get detailed information about how to contribute?
>
> * We need to audit all the strings in gnome-packagekit so that they are
> easily localisable and don't contain markup. This is one for you if you
> are also a translator.
>
> * We need some yelp documentation for the gnome-packagekit tools. This
> will mean getting screenshots and generally explaining how to use the
> tools.
>
> * We need a proper security audit of the packagekitd daemon. We are
> running as root, so we need to make sure we are not doing anything
> insane that would mean we could crash and do bad things.
>
> * We need more unit tests where we can actually simulate _using_
> packagekit, probably using an enhanced dummy backend and libpackagekit.
> This is a tricky one as we can't assume we have the
> org.freedesktop.PackageKit.conf file installed in the system prefix -
> maybe we can #ifdef the daemon to run in the session bus for some
> testing.
>
> * The gnome-packagekit tools don't exactly conform the the GNOME Human
> Interface Guidelines (HIG). Someone needs to evaluate the GUI tools and
> suggest changing some control types, adding key-shortcuts and tooltips
> and changing the spacing between widgets where needed.
>
> * It needs to be clear on the homepage that we are a welcoming bunch of
> people, and that we hand out commit access very easily if you want to
> jump in and contribute. I'm not sure how clear the git
> packagekit.org->freedesktop.org staggered system is, but maybe it needs
> further explaining also.
>
> * Maybe we need to have on the website who is responsible for what, i.e.
> that Ken and Elliot are the conary dudes, and Luke and Tim are the yum
> dudes, etc. Maybe photos and a short two sentence profile might be a
> good idea too.
>
> * Somebody needs to put the above list in TODO!
>
> If anybody else wants to grab one of these just mail the list so we
> don't have duplication of effort. Good luck!
>
> Richard.
>
> p.s. I'm really leaving now.

This would be my first time doing this kind of job so, what should i
download?, or what tools are required? how to start commenting? what are
the guidelines? :)

thanks for your help!

--
Juan Camilo Prada <juankprada at gmail.com>