[packagekit] Questions about Get Depends and Get Requires

Boyd Timothy btimothy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 07:02:00 PST 2007

1) I noticed that libzypp doesn't just return package dependencies,
but also single libraries and files.  Some of these libraries can be
provided by multiple packages.  Do any other PackageKit backends have
to deal with that?  ...and if so, what's the recommended thing to do?
Just return pacakges?

2) How does dependency resolution work in the GUI?  For testing
purposes, I wrote a fake Get Requires which returned three fake
packages.  I expected pk-application to prompt me about the other
packages when I installed "lynx", but it didn't.

3) When GetDepends and GetRequires are called, they should return all
packages regardless of their installed state, right?

Cheers,

Boyd