[packagekit] Fun things that happen when the transaction db doesn't open

Tom Parker palfrey at tevp.net
Tue Nov 6 15:01:33 PST 2007

On 06/11/2007, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> Agree, just error out if the database is not present. The idea was to
> recreate the db file if not found, as this means we can nuke the file
> and still get the daemon recreate it. I'm not sure how sane that is.

The problem is the case when pk can't create the database at all,
because the folder doesn't exist or potentially you don't have write
access to the folder, despite being root. I think this is doable in
certain security mechanisms. Especially if say, the folder is actually
on another computer entirely...

I'm for the "nuke it if we can't open the old one", but with
protections to tell the difference between "couldn't open the old one
'cause it's corrupt/non-existant" vs. "don't have write perms on the
folder that we want to put a new one in". The latter should be a
die-with-error-message case.

Tom