[packagekit] org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement and the user

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat Oct 13 06:31:22 PDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> But, as you see gnome-power-manager just detects this as a generic
> failure and can't give the user any decent feedback to why it failed.

Did you read

  http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/hal-spec/hal-spec.html#locking-
guidelines

g-p-m should be able to detect this just fine and provide the
appropriate error message; e.g. only show a popup "Cannot suspend -
another user or system job is running and preventing this operation;
do you really want to do it anyway?" if the user actively pressed a
button in either the UI or on the system.

(I think what we may need is some way of gnome-power-manager to
figure out what is holding the lock to give more intelligent
feedback; maybe a GetExePathForLockHolders(out array String) call and
then you can show that to the user maybe even couple with some
fancy .desktop file search so you have an l10n name and icon to show.)

(Btw, you probably want yum itself (through a yum plug-in) to take
the lock (it's not a problem if both PackageKit and Yum holds the
lock) such that this works nicely even when using yum from the
command line)

       David (I'm traveling this wkend; may be slow to respond)