[packagekit] PackageKit Apt backend

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 18 00:07:54 PDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, den 17.10.2007, 19:03 +0200 schrieb Tom Parker:
> On 17/10/2007, Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > The time output running the whole python script:
>
> Hmm.... good catch. I'm looking around and trying to figure out what
> took me so long before (use of apt vs. apt_pkg?), and it looks like we
> may be able to move to more-or-less full python for the apt backend,
> without the sqlite cache or any other complexities (which also makes
> building the other missing features much easier)

Apt_pkg operates on a lower level (libapt). The apt module provides a
nice pythonish way of interacting with libapt.

> (I'm blaming this on a lack of documentation with the python apt
> bindings.... that, or my own stupid fault)

You have to look at the source code quite often, but the interface
(which was done by michael vogt) is very powerful and well though.

> > There is no need to reinvent the whell. Take a look at
> > apt.cache.Cache._depcache.DelCount after marking your changes.
>
> Major justification behind reinventing the wheel was the slowness of
> the python-apt bindings. Oh, and if you can find a smart way to
> install a *particular* version of a package with python-apt, I'd love
> to hear it.

What are you having in your mind? Apt chooses the best version for you.
If you are thinking about downgrading, this is not support by the
maintainer scripts, so I would not recommend to implement this in a
simple end user interface, e.g. data and configuration migration is only
handled for upgrades (mysql 4 -> mysql 5) and not the other way around
(data loss!).

Regards,

Sebastian