[packagekit] PackageKit and gnome-packagekit 0.1.1 release!

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 06:44:49 PDT 2007

Tarball available here: http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/releases/
Thanks to all those who made this possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Version 0.1.1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* New backends:
 - A SMART backend (James Bowes)
 - A PiSi backend (S.Çağlar Onur)

* New features:
 - A better, easier to use website; http://www.packagekit.org (Richard Hughes)
 - Added missing install-file.py so we can do local rpm installs (Tim Lauridsen)
 - Be ultra-paranoid about validating input from the user (Richard Hughes)
 - Send SIGQUIT and then SIGKILL after a little delay, so we can clean up the
   backends nicely by unlocking when we cancel (Richard Hughes)
 - Add resolve functionality in pkcon to allow non-package_id use, for instance
   'pkcon remove gimp' now does the right thing (Richard Hughes)
 - Display a pulsing progress bar for no-progress-updates and percentage-update
   that is shown when using a console (James Bowes)
 - Remove the hard dependency on NetworkManager so other networking stacks
   can be used instead (S.Çağlar Onur, Richard Hughes)
 - Add a filter parameter for Resolve() so we can do the filtering in the
   spawned backend without duplicating code (James Bowes, Richard Hughes)
 - Substantial additions to the box backend (Grzegorz Dabrowski)
 - Add GetRepoList and RepoEnable to the yum backend (Tim Lauridsen)
 - Add bash completion script for pkcon (James Bowes)
 - Get the repo list for the aplm backend (Andreas Obergrusberger)

* API changes:
 - Store the transaction database in /var/lib rather than /var/db (James Bowes)
 - Don't expose the private list in PkTaskList, instead use verified functions
   to ensure we can't corrupt data accidentally (Richard Hughes)
 - Don't export the private data array in PkClient or PkPackageList - this
   breaks API, so the library version has been bumped (Richard Hughes)

* Bugfixes:
 - Fix the resolve method parameter passing - now pk-install-package should work
   correctly (James Bowes)
 - Fix all the copyright notices to be a standard GPL2+ boilerplate licence
   text (Tom Parker, Robin Norwood)
 - Dist the local apt headers so the apt backend can be compiled from a tarball
   rather than just from git (Richard Hughes)
 - Fix a 1-in-10 random daemon startup crash when backends do libnm_glib init,
   shutdown, init, shutdown repeatedly (Richard Hughes)
 - Added locking in the yum backend to allow simultaneous use of the yum command
   line tool or yum-updatesd (Tim Lauridsen)
 - Fix NoPercentageUpdates validity checking (James Bowes)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Version 0.1.1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Translations:
 - Updated Norwegian bokmål translation (Kjartan Maraas)
 - Add Polish translation (Piotr Drąg)

* New features:
 - Show an icon when we are waiting, to give feedback when yum is waiting for a
   command line tool to release the lock (Richard Hughes)
 - Connect up the Requires button in the toolbar (Grzegorz Dabrowski)
 - Add a desktop icon for pk-repo (Richard Hughes)

* Bugfixes
 - Use the new API in PackageKit to get the cached data (Richard Hughes)
 - Use a local copy of libgbus to stop the startup race of gnome-power-manager,
   gnome-screensaver and pk-update-icon from preventing the update icon to show
   on first login (Richard Hughes)
 - Spin the progress bar at the same speed between applications (Richard Hughes)