[packagekit] APT backend and xapian

Enrico Zini enrico at debian.org
Tue Oct 30 06:02:38 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 11:25:19AM +0100, Tom Parker wrote:

> Given that there have been a number of possible search implementations
> proposed for the apt backend (plain apt, my sqlite work,
> apt-xapian-index) it might be a good idea to provide some way to
> switch between them at compile time.

Hello.

Please note that I might miss a bit of context here, and I don't know
the exact extent "search implementation" may have.  If that means being
a full backend engine to get all possible information about packages,
then apt-xapian-index cannot do that, because it cannot store
dependencies.  At least, I cannot think of a way to index versioned
dependencies, or alternative dependencies, in Xapian.

My idea for apt-xapian-index is to have something complementary to the
normal package index: apt can do dependencies, apt-xapian-index can do
all sort of other metadata and search functions that is useful to have
in a package manager but that is not essential to upgrade a system / fix
a broken system.

Ciao,

Enrico

--