[packagekit] Semantic issues with GetDeps (and other interface functions)

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 15:08:02 PDT 2007

On 04/09/07, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:
> The desire to be accessible to all types of people is a good desire, but isn't it the distribution's decision to make?  Each distro has their own guidelines for packaging policy, and you can't expect that to change because of PackageKit.

Totally, PackageKit won't replace power GUI's such as synaptic, it's
just not powerful enough. If we can do 80% of the common tasks a user
wants to do then I think we've succeeded. Real power users can drop to
the command line and use the distro tool directly.

> I'm just worried you're going to exclude some of the more 'get-your-hands-dirty' distros and package managers this way.

Sure, I had a conversation about gentoo a few weeks ago on IRC. gentoo
doesn't seem the sort of setup that you want to thrust at new users,
and therefore might not be the best target backend for PackageKit. For
the other "just do it" package management solutions I think it works
rather well.