[packagekit] Semantic issues with GetDeps (and other interface functions)

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Tue Sep 4 08:08:54 PDT 2007

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 11:01:25 -0400, Ken VanDine wrote
> mysql doesn't tell you that on install, but when the service is
> started the first time.  I really think this sort of info should be
> left to runtime, not included in the install/update.

I don't disagree with you, but we're dealing with package management here.  We
control install/update messages, however we don't control upstream software.
We can trivially add an install message warning the user of any number of
things they need to be aware of, but it may be entirely non-trivial to add
this message into the application if the original developers didn't do it in
the first place - especially if, for example, it's a GUI application.

Something to give users non-intrusive textual feedback during install/update
would be very benificial.  I DON'T want or expect interaction (ie. "configure
now? [Y/n]") once the install process has begun, but a simple feedback (ie.
"you'll want to configure") is a boon.

--
Travis