[packagekit] Handling of License Prompts

Justin Haygood jhaygood at reaktix.com
Tue Sep 11 10:30:56 PDT 2007

=================
So some of my thoughts:

* PackageKit will not open a console for the input or output of any
package.
 - anything that does echo "type agree to continue" && read $agree is
just too broken
* debhelper might work for the prompts, but only if the notification is
shown _before_ or _after_ the transaction itself - the transaction can
never block, and still I don't like the complexity or the fact it's
difficult to localise.
* You have to understand most of the backends can't support legal type
stuff complexity

So yes, this is a difficult legal problem, but it's difficult because of
the lack of technical standards and because of undefined legal grey
areas. Technically it's actually very easy.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that installing proprietary
software is not that interesting to me. I don't want to be so bold as to
completely /prevent/ its use with PackageKit, but I don't think we
should go out of our way to accommodate a legally grey area.

Richard

Well, how it works with zypp is that there's no console text or anything.
Each frontend to zypp basically handles a callback from the zypp library.
Zypper (command line) shows it on the console, YaST and zen shows it in a UI
popup, etc... Would this work? Basically.. packagekit can inform the
frontend of the license, and if the license is an EULA license, and the
license text (as taken from the backend), the frontend can then decide to
handle the case? Granted, this is the one backend I know of which explicitly
supports licenses, etc.. though