[packagekit] Package update policy

Bryan Clark bclark at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 12:46:43 PDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> wrote:

> 2007/9/26, Bryan Clark <bclark at redhat.com>:
> > As for the System Update Preferences UI I'd go with something like this.

> > System Update Preferences
> >
> >   [x] Automatically Check for Updates When Idle
> >
> >     [Every Day \/] Check for new updates
> >
> >     [x] Download updates automatically
> >
> >     (o) Never ask for confirmation, perform all updates automatically
> >     ( ) Always perform security updates, but ask otherwise
> >     ( ) Always ask before updating anything
> >
> >                                                           [ x Close ]
> >  Hope I'm not coming into the game too late.  Thoughts?
>
> I'd reword the whole thing. Something along "I'd like to install newer
> versions of the software I'm using: (x) whenever a new version comes
> out ( ) only when my version is found unsecure" or something. So an
> average jane user does nor need to call her IT department.

Yeah it does need some better wording, feel free to lay it out.  But the
goal of all the scenarios previously was so that your average jane user
would never see this dialog.  It's a bit of an awkward combination of
questions no matter how we phrase it and they are only targeted toward
people who are a bit paranoid about updating their software. *shrug*

~ Bryan