[packagekit] license handling

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Thu Apr 3 10:54:47 PDT 2008

* Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> [Apr 03. 2008 15:07]:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 14:44 +0200, Stefan Haas wrote:
> > before installing or updating a package sometimes it's necessary to
> > accept or decline a license.
> > How to handle this with packageKit?
>
> Right, I've been deliberately putting this off, so maybe no we should
> talk about accepting EULAs and stuff. :-)
>
> As you know, the eula screen prompt can only be done at the start of the
> transaction when installing, and can't be shown when updating a package.
> This is so we get the fire-and-forget use case.
[...]

> Now, how much of that sounds insane? :-)

Actually, the non-handling of the update case ;-)

It already happened in the past, that a security update for a (binary
only) package required a version jump (from Acroread 3 to 5, iirc)
with the update package coming with a new license.

So please allow the license prompt when updating packages.
Without it, PackageKit might not be usable for openSUSE.

Klaus
---