[packagekit] yum: detecting file conflicts and using a custom error

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 06:14:05 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 09:02 -0400, Robin Norwood wrote:
> This agrees with my impression, too - I can add the new
> TRANSACTION_ERROR if we want to go that way.

But bluntly, TRANSACTION_ERROR is no better than UNKNOWN_ERROR. If you
don't speak English, you need to know what the problem is.

In French, these would be "Erreur de transaction" and "Conflit de
fichier détecté" - the first one is useless - there is a an error. The
second tells you something about the error. Further more, we can add an
explanation IN FRENCH underneath explaining what a file conflict means.

Now, if yum can't give us sane error types, we can screenscrape, as yum
is always run in the C locale by packagekit. If nobody has any
complaints, I'm going to add heuristic code to the yum backend to send
proper errors.