[packagekit] Limiting to one extra thread

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 25 05:33:35 PDT 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> The current PK threaded backend design allows backends to create as many
> threads as they like for each transaction. This complicates the thread
> management greatly. I'm suggesting that we limit each transaction to one
> thread, and then we can rip out a whole chunk of code.
>
> Anyone got any problems with that?
I understand the complexity of making threaded stuff work correctly, but
I have been hoping for a long time that package updating could
essentially be done in two threads:

1. to get required packages in order of least to most difficult - eg an
update to timezone should be downloaded before an update that requires a
heap of other packages to be updated at the same time.

2. to install packages in small groups once all packages needed by that
update are installed {eg openoffice*} etc, rather than waiting for all
packages to complete download.

How does that fit in with current/these plans ?

David T