[packagekit] Request for a (small?) packagekit enhancement

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 10:46:50 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 13:35 +0200, simd at arcor.de wrote:
> Hello,
> firstly to say packagekit seems to be a nice looking and relatively
> fast solution. Nice work!

Thanks!

> What would be really useful to me is a simple log file recording all
> the *top level* packages I choose to install / remove. It wouldn't be
> a huge amount of effort I think.

Do you mean installing _packages_ or _applications_? Would it make sense
to just export a package list, do the upgrade, import a packagelist and
then install anything not already installed?

> My reasons. I use Fedora. Fedora is released every 6 months, and
> releases are obsoleted after 12 months. So 1-2 times per year I have
> to upgrade. On the one hand this is ok, since it's a spring clean. On
> the other hand, it can be a real pain. What I want is that my new
> environment, after the upgrade looks as much like the previous one as
> possible, with all my favourite programs, at minimum effort.

I do the same think don't worry. I pick up all sorts of cruft (rpm
--nodeps, config file tweaks, etc) during the rawhide cycle, and blow it
all away and start afresh every now and again.

> Or, of course, you could always give packagekit an api for plugins.

Nahh, because then we would have to commit to a stable internal API! :-)

> But maybe that's a bit too much wishful thinking... And you guys
> aren't the anaconda team.

Sure, but we can install software. Say you install your desktop and
gnome-packagekit just reads the contents
of .gnome2/PackageKit/stuff_i_like.conf - if it's changed then process
the install list using a GUI.

It might be a nice project for someone to start hacking on PackageKit
(hint hint). ;-)