[packagekit] Introduction

Patrick Klingemann patrick.klingemann at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 16:45:02 PDT 2008

Greetings,

My name is Patrick Klingemann.  I've been passively following PackageKit
development since the announcement of its inclusion in Fedora 9.  I noticed
a bug in application while testing Fedora 9 (rawhide) and submitted it to
the Fedora bugzilla hoping to help the cause.  I learned a little along the
way and became interested in contributing.  I'm new to Open Source
development, but I'm experienced with Open Source Software and I am an
experienced developer.  My purpose will be to learn, to stay out of the way
of the maintainers and core developers and hopefully to contribute something
of value.

Richard mentioned that he plans to integrate PackageKit with Seahorse and
after doing some research, this looks like a very interesting area in which
to contribute, however, I am open to suggestions and direction.

I was able to pull down the source from the git repository and I'm hoping
for a little direction to get started tinkering.  What tools are most
commonly used for development of PackageKit (IDE's, build tools, etc.)?  Is
there any other information that would be important to know before I get
started?

Looking forward to getting started!

Patrick