[packagekit] Problem running example from FAQ

Dorian Perkins dperkins at google.com
Thu Aug 7 11:23:29 PDT 2008

Hi again,

So I am attempting to compile the system.c example Richard linked me to in
the previous message. I am using the compile string from the website. At
first try, I got the following error:

system.c: In function 'main':
system.c:15: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before
'*' token
system.c:15: error: 'obj' undeclared (first use in this function)
system.c:15: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
system.c:15: error: for each function it appears in.)
system.c:60: warning: implicit declaration of function
'pk_package_list_get_obj'

Then I tried to find the culprit of the first  error "error: expected '=',
',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token". I removed the "const"
from the line "const PkPackageObj *obj;" and tried  to compile, giving me
the error output:

system.c: In function 'main':
system.c:18: error: 'PkPackageObj' undeclared (first use in this function)
system.c:18: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
system.c:18: error: for each function it appears in.)
system.c:18: error: 'obj' undeclared (first use in this function)
system.c:63: warning: implicit declaration of function
'pk_package_list_get_obj'

I then tried to track down which header PkPackageObj was being declared in.
I grep'd for the string in the libpackagekit directory from the git main
branch (0.2.3) image and noticed it was used in <pk-package-list.h> and
<pk-package-obj.h>. Also I searched for "pk_package_list_get_obj" which was
used in <pk-package-list.h>.

I added those header includes to the file, tried to compile again and got
the same errors. So I looked in /usr/include/packagekit and noticed that
'pk-package-obj.h' does not exist there, but 'pk-package-list.h' does.

[/usr/include/packagekit/]
pk-catalog.h  pk-client.h  pk-common.h  pk-connection.h  pk-control.h
pk-debug.h  pk-enum.h  pk-extra.h  pk-package-id.h  pk-package-ids.h
pk-package-item.h  pk-package-list.h  pk-task-list.h

I grep'd for PkPackageObj here are could not find it. I recursively grep'd
the entire  /usr/include branch for PkPackageObj and found nothing.

And this is where my ideas ended. HELP! :)

Thanks,
-Dorian