[packagekit] slow connection & offline users problem.

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 01:59:16 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 22:43 +0300, Usama Akkad wrote:
> I would like to be able to use the package manager off-line like what
> you can do partly with synaptic.

Right, I guess you've been following the Service Pack code additions
closely then.

> In synaptic I reload the packages list (needs connection) then I chose
> what I want programs or updates. then instead of pressing Apply to start
> downloading. I go to file >> generate download script
> This script contain the URLs of the packages needed to install the
> programs or the updates. I simply download these files (from fast
> internet connection) and go back to synaptic and chose File >>Add
> downloaded packages and that is it.

Right, so it's slightly different from service pack. With a service pack
you generate the pack on the high speed internet, and then install the
pack on the computer without internet access, or with slow internet.

> It might seems unnecessary to care about this but for off-line or slow
> connection users it's vital. I know I can do most of the work by command
> line but the GUI way is better for newbies. to be honest I'm attached to
> Ubuntu and it's variant for this reason.

Right.

> Some say that packagekit will be the package manager of the future.
> sorry if that isn't the place and good luck.

This is totally the right place :-)

Would using the Service Pack work for you? i.e. you download a pack on
one computer and then install it on another?

I'm not keen on generating scripts, as I don't think people should be
messing around with scripts and running random things in consoles. I
think there are better ways to do this.