[packagekit] slow connection & offline users problem.

Usama Akkad uak at aya.sy
Fri Aug 22 04:36:00 PDT 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 22:43 +0300, Usama Akkad wrote:
>> I would like to be able to use the package manager off-line like what
>> you can do partly with synaptic.
>
> Right, I guess you've been following the Service Pack code additions
> closely then.
Sorry, I wasn't I've just joined the mail list . I don't understand the
technical issues that much either. but I wanted to report a very
important issue for us.

>> In synaptic I reload the packages list (needs connection) then I chose
>> what I want programs or updates. then instead of pressing Apply to start
>> downloading. I go to file >> generate download script
>> This script contain the URLs of the packages needed to install the
>> programs or the updates. I simply download these files (from fast
>> internet connection) and go back to synaptic and chose File >>Add
>> downloaded packages and that is it.
>
> Right, so it's slightly different from service pack. With a service pack
> you generate the pack on the high speed internet, and then install the
> pack on the computer without internet access, or with slow internet.

I don't know any thing about service pack. does it allow me to chose the
program that I want to install.

>> It might seems unnecessary to care about this but for off-line or slow
>> connection users it's vital. I know I can do most of the work by command
>> line but the GUI way is better for newbies. to be honest I'm attached to
>> Ubuntu and it's variant for this reason.
>
> Right.
>
>> Some say that packagekit will be the package manager of the future.
>> sorry if that isn't the place and good luck.
>
> This is totally the right place :-)
>
> Would using the Service Pack work for you? i.e. you download a pack on
> one computer and then install it on another?
I need to know more about service pack. and how to test it. I have
fedora 9 installed along with Ubuntu Hardy

> I'm not keen on generating scripts, as I don't think people should be
> messing around with scripts and running random things in consoles. I
> think there are better ways to do this.

I'm not interested in the script. I just care about the URLs in it
because the fast internet machine is Windows machine. and a better way
is what I want.

Example: I want program called "filezilla" in synaptic I mark it,
Synaptic marks it's dependencies too.
I generate the script then I extract the URLs and go to the fast
internet. then I from my machine I chose Add downloaded packages and
point to the files.

How that can be done with service pack?