[packagekit] slow connection & offline users problem.

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 01:02:57 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 14:36 +0300, Usama Akkad wrote:
> Sorry, I wasn't I've just joined the mail list . I don't understand the
> technical issues that much either. but I wanted to report a very
> important issue for us.

Sure, thanks for doing so -- I wish more people would do the same.

> I don't know any thing about service pack. does it allow me to chose the
> program that I want to install.

Yup, on the computer with internet access you just type "pkgenpack
openoffce.servicepack openoffice openoffice-clipart foo bar baz" and it
puts the files, and it's dependencies in a tar file for easy
installation. There's a very good man page for pkgenpack explaining how
you use it.

> I'm not interested in the script. I just care about the URLs in it
> because the fast internet machine is Windows machine. and a better way
> is what I want.

Right, I had not considered a windows program -- at the moment to
generate the pack you need Linux installed. I'm not sure how we could
support doing stuff on windows as it starts getting complicated really
quickly.