[packagekit] RFC: Add a GetTestingUpdates method?

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 08:28:09 PST 2008

Upon quick reflection, I wish to insist that this should probably be a
Fedora-specific implementation separate from PackageKit, rather than
trying to shoehorn generality into PackageKit to support it.  The idea
in general will require very distro-specific implementations, and is
subject to the vagaries of each distro; a distro may change its
testing scheme at will.

Suffice to say:  if you do this, you should support it generally.  And
if you support it generally, that means you must keep up with each
distro's user-testing paradigm.  I think this is too much for this
project to do; and implementing a Fedora-only feature in PackageKit
would be unfair.

You'd never hear of Microsoft or Apple exposing experimental updates
to their end-users; they are for advanced users who intentionally
enroll in a project or group to receive them.

A simple applet "Help us make Fedora better!" which could be the
user-facing doorstep to installing a Tester-Kit style project,
mentioned above, would probably be better in Fedora's case.