[packagekit] RFC: Markup format

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 00:40:45 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 23:55 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> I am against using a special markup. Most frontends use pango and so
> pango markup seems to be the natural choice to me.
>
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/pango/unstable/PangoMarkupFormat.html
>
> Why should the frontend/client convert markdown to pango markup?

Right, I don't think each backend should be converting markdown to pango
markup, as they'll all be doing the same thing with a few different
quirks.

I do agree pango markup rocks. There's a shitty sample
markdown->pango-markup converter in gnome-packagekit, which I'm
intending to rewrite today. The frontend tools currently use that.

We also have to bear in mind the text mode tools. I don't really want
the simple text mode tools to have to "strip out" pango tags and re-wrap
text as the text mode tools should just show the data as it is.

I guess you could argue the conversion could be done in the daemon, and
sent to the GUI tools as is.