[packagekit] PackageKit-gnome: saner icons usage

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 10:22:08 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 10:33 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Using information from desktop files may make sense once you have an
> actual _application_ installer, not a _package_ installer. Ie you'd
> have to loose the 1-1 relation between list rows and packages. As
> things are now, you are mixing information from the package (package
> name) with information from some desktop file inside. What if there
> are multiple desktop files inside ?

Well, we'll use the last desktop file. I don't think this has been much
of an issue so far. If the package does not ship a desktop file then it
falls back to the untranslated information from the repos.

> Even in an application installer, naively using desktop files is going
> to be problematic, with the sprawling misuse that this file format
> gets, for screensavers, autostarting, desktop sessions, shortcuts, etc
> etc. So whatever you do for extracting application information from
> desktop files
> has to be careful to make sure that it only uses desktop files that actually
> represent apps, and should ideally offer a way for the packager to override it.

Sure. I think it's safe to assume that any desktop file
in /usr/share/applications is an application, and not an autostart file.

Thanks.