[packagekit] PackageKit frontends idea

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek jakub.rusinek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 07:21:40 PST 2008

Sebastian Heinlein pisze:
> Am Montag, den 11.02.2008, 16:04 +0100 schrieb Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek:
>> Sebastian Heinlein pisze:

>>> I would see this differently. Too many options and too much information.
>>>
>>> The package selector seems to be an universal package management tool
>>> and not a simple installer/upgrader.
>> It's true, YaST's UI is overloaded, but the "Changes" block is nice indeed.
>
> Red-Carpet introduced this concept some years ago. But I also never found a good way to integrate it into the user interface.

I wonder if non-YaST package managers would integrate such feature too.

Maybe I even file bug under pirut (I'm Fedora user and lover) :> .

>> Simple way to undo... Just click "undo" and doing something with some
>> package i cancelled.
>
> Would be interesting what happens if a lot of changes have been queued.
> There is a scroll bar? Search option?

I think that some scrollbar should be shown there.

[But it reminds me something from openSUSE. Some apps had so big height
so it was not shown fully on my screen... And resizing down was not
available... I'll be not suprised if this UI has this ugly bug too :> .]

>> I like it very much.
>>
>> Also, I like using wizard widget in such apps.
>
> PackageKit removes the need for a wizard/assitant. It allows to create
> fire and forget user interfaces.

/me is sad :(
/me likes wizards/assistants