[packagekit] PackageKit frontend documentation

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 09:50:40 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 11:41 -0500, Sveta Anisimova wrote:
> I am working on linux autoupdate system implementation for large
> institutional labs. One of the options would be to use PackageKit
> system backends with a modified frontend functionality. References to
> any documentation online which give an overview of methods
> and functions used for rewriting PackageKit frontend are really
> appreciated and would be of great help.

Are you writing your application in C or some other language? The API
documentation for libpackagekit (probably what you'll want to use) is
generated with gtk-doc when you build the package, but yell if you want
me to upload it somewhere for you to read. Most of the interesting
methods for you will be methods on the PkClient gobject.

You could probably put together a simple update frontend in a couple of
hours that way.

Also, if you checkout the gnome-packagekit source code, you can copy the
UpdateSystem and GetUpdates functionality as we know it works.

I hope that helps.