[packagekit] Properties and Supported

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 15 09:07:25 PST 2008

Am Freitag, den 15.02.2008, 15:00 +0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 08:57 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> > have you already thought about implementing a common GetProperty method
> > in PackageKit? There are always special needs by distributions, e.g.
> > support life time of a package.
>
> I think a general getter is too loose in API definition. What parameters
> do you want to get at per-package?

I would like to have origin, licence, support, section, tags, supported
mime-types and codecs.

Why did you decide to hardcode the list of groups? Should the frontends
not be able to deal with flexible groups/sections?

> > It would be nice to have a supported and third party filter in
> > PackageKit. But this could also be decided in the frontend.
>
> Can you define supported and third-party for a general case? Then we can
> work on how these filters could map to others like yum (where livna is
> unsupported) in a more general sense.
>
> But overwise, adding more filters is a good thing to do.

This issue affects mainly company driven distributions that don't make a
difference between a professional and community edition, e.g.
Canonical/Ubuntu.

Canonical only provides support for a 'small' number of packages that
are located in the main component and the software from the partner
repository. Furthermore desktop packages are only supported for 3 years
and server packages for 5 years in a Long Term Release. Hardy 8.04 will
be such a LTS release. The software in universe is basically maintained
by the community and so not officially supported by Canonical.

In Ubuntu we mark applications that are not officially part of Ubuntu as
third party applications. This helps to promote software from the
partner repository and also allows user to easily identify alien
software that could also be a source of problems.

Cheers,

Sebastian