[packagekit] Status of the APT backend

Sebastian Heinlein sebi at glatzor.de
Tue Feb 19 23:40:48 PST 2008

Zitat von Josselin Mouette <joss at debian.org>:

> Hi,
>
> I?d like to give a hand with the implementation of the APT backend. So
> first, I need to know which repository I should look at: the freedesktop
> one or git.glatzor.de? Which of those two does the status map in the FAQ
> describe? (And is there a reason for them not to be merged yet?)

The apt backend will be obsolete in the near future. I used the apt
backend as a starting point and "ported" some parts to a dbus based
backend. It is named apt2 and was moved to the main line recently.

Sorry, I have to say this, but we will need to rewrite large parts of
the old apt backend.

> One of the things that will hit us if not implemented correctly is, of
> course, debconf. The FAQ says wrong things about user interaction, as
> these problems are solved in Debian: the user can select a priority
> level of questions (meaning by default most questions are not shown),
> and the questions are translated.

Right, the FAQ at packagekit.org seems to be a bit out of date and not
very correct in some points.

We discussed some of the issues at http://wiki.debian.org/PackageKit
(the site hasn't been updated for quite some time).

Would you like to sponsor my packages to Debian? Mvo seems quite busy
currently. The packaging is hosted at Launchpad:

https://code.launchpad.net/packagekit

> Debconf already has a GNOME frontend, but given the architecture of
> PackageKit, I guess a new D-BUS frontend should be created for the
> daemon to talk to, and gnome-packagekit could then use the GNOME
> frontend to actually ask the questions. How do you think this should be
> done?

We need to show the debconf question to install software that comes
with special licences requirements, e.g. flash or sun java.

In the long run I would like to integrate the xapian work of Enrico to
provide fast and enriched search methods (including tags, automatic
sorting by popcon/relevance).

Furthermore I would like to move much of the logic to python-apt e.g.
the changelog loader or the description "renderer".

https://code.launchpad.net/~mvo/python-apt/python-apt--mvo

You will be at FosDem?

Cheers,

Sebastian

P.S. When will we see updated hotwire packages? :)