[packagekit] Things that need fixing

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 00:11:29 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 08:59 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> Yum >= 3.2,10 has a new improved '--skip-broken' broken feature builtin
> to skip packages with broken dependencies.
> it is controlled by the self.yumbase.conf.skip_broken flag.

YAY!!! In which case can we use this by default for UpdateSystem or is
much slower? If it's much slower, we could try the transaction without
this set, then try it with set, else erroring out.

> I would be nice if there was some way to control this from pk, but we
> have to extend the signals some how to signal packages being skipped
> from the transaction.

Just don't emit the Package() for the skipped package. We'll always get
it again when we requeue the GetUpdates.

> In the yum2 backend i make perfect sense to use arrays, but what about
> the helper script backends link yum, how do they handle multiple packages ?

I guess just pass them as extra arguments on stdin.

> I think we should make new multi package method, and let the frontend
> check if multi package methods is implemented, then use them else
> fallback to single package methods.

Sounds pretty icky. I think we can do the string -> string array thing
on all the backends, it just might take a bit of time.